Tips for Talking to Your Kids about Screen Time
- Acknowledge that you understand that technology plays a big role in their lives and (most likely) yours, too.
- Ask them to identify the pros and cons of screen time as they see it.
- Ask them if using social media makes them feel more connected to others or more isolated.
- Tell them what your concerns are.
- Ask them how they could balance their use of technology with other areas of their life, like family, school work, extracurricular activities, and “face time” with friends.
- Help your teen to prioritize so that screen time doesn’t come before other important activities.
- Set some Ground Rules (e.g., no cell phones at the dinner table; no technology after a specific time at night).
- Tell them what will happen if they violate these rules.